Monday, September 3, 2012

First "Pinterest" Projects

Like every girl on the planet, I discovered and became addicted to the website Pinterest last summer and have no clue how I survived before it! From crafts and DIY's around my home, party planning, teaching, and now wedding planning, there is no way I can go back to a world without it. I have always had an interest in crafting and creating and Pinterest helps bring it to life. 

You can follow my boards at: My Pinterst Boards

Pinterest came along at the perfect time because I had just moved into a new apartment with my fiancĂ©, Brandon, in August 2011. It was my first big girl apartment and was a blank canvas for me to really decorate how I had always dreamed! I knew I wanted art above our bed and the couch in our living room, and I knew I wanted to create it myself, so I began my search. 

The first idea I came across was from an etsy store and I knew it was perfect. Because it's been over a year since I made it, I can't find the exact product, but this is close: Esty 

Brandon is a huge Beatles fan, and has converted me over the last three years; it was the perfect addition to our first room together.







The project together was under $20 and it is all hand drawn and cut. I don't own a fancy printer/cutter (maybe someday), so most of my work is done on my own. The frames are from Wal-Mart and the paper is card stock from Michaels in brown and white. I experimented with block letters on Microsoft and printed off the size/shape that I needed and traced it onto the white paper. I traced it backwards to avoid having to erase the pencils marks, I cut them out, and glued!







My second wall project was for our living room, above the couch. I knew I wanted something painted and larger and again, thanks to Pinterest I found this from JCPenneys and knew I could make it.

Using coupons and my teacher discount :-) I hit up Michaels for three vertical canvas', and acrylic paint in ivory and white. 

 1.) Painted each canvas with a couple coats of ivory and let dry over night.

 2.) Using the white paint, I let myself free draw the branches keeping the original picture on my phone to help guide me. Each one took me about an hour (or as I say, one Jersey Shore or Real Housewives)

3.) I let dry again over night, and touched up as needed. I didn't smooth out the paint to give it that "textured" look.

Hope you enjoy my first, and not last, Pinterest project!

No comments:

Post a Comment