Sunday, October 14, 2012

Chalkboard Frame

This project has been floating around Pinterest for the last year and I've always wanted to do it. I've been keeping my eye out for the perfect frame for awhile, but didn't actually start looking for one until last week. My apartment isn't located by very many Goodwills/Thrift Stores, but just south of the city is a Thrift Shop gold mine. I'm not in that area too often, but when I was getting my pink hair extension in for Breast Cancer Awareness month in Overland Park, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to go hunting on my way home. I found my winner at Red Rack Thrift.

I was looking for something tall and skinny with a lot of texture, but most importantly was that the picture inside could be removed and the backing was thick enough to take chalk board paint. 

Surprisingly the original painting isn't awful and could have been used in any home now. But it had to go. When I ripped off the brown paper on the backing I found that there wasn't wood underneath, but thick cardboard. This could be a problem...but I figured I would try to paint on it anyway.




I spray painted the frame with primer and then white spray paint. 

I had read in many posts that actual jar chalkboard paint works better than spray, so I splurged at Lowes and purchased a small can for $13. I hardly even made a dent when painting the inside, but I figured I'll be reapplying as needed and can use it for many projects to come (wedding perhaps?!?). I was happy to see that the cardboard took the chalkboard paint very well.

I love how it turned out and I can't wait to keep writing and drawing on it! This project only took a few hours to do. All the paint dried very quickly!

I used RosaArt chalk from Target.

No comments:

Post a Comment