Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Wedding Planning: Early Stages

So far my wedding planning has been relatively stress-free and easy. Due to Brandon's medical school graduation in the middle of May and the possibility of starting his residency (maybe even moving states) being as early as mid-June we had a small time frame to tie the knot...which led to our wedding date being decided 12 hours later! 

The only wedding related detail I had preset in my mind was the church I wanted to look into which also made our decision easy when it only had two dates available. The Graham Memorial Chapel is located on Washington University Campus and because my dad works there I knew I had way in to apply. Besides the fact that it's gorgeous, it also was perfect in that it was non-denominational and we would have to supply our own officiant and avoid searching for a church that would allow us to get married not being a member or living in St. Louis. So, we applied online at 2:30am the night of our engagement, the lady called me the next day, and we had a date! Step one: DONE!



I didn't have a clue of where to have our reception but I had a specific idea of what I was looking for. My biggest priority was that it was a large open space where all our guests would feel included and be able to see and enjoy every part. I hate when guest are cut off from view of the head table due to the layout of the venue, or the bar is located away from the dance floor. I knew if I put the drinks by the dance floor our friends would have no excuse but to boogie down! I looked at two venues and immediately upon walking into NEO on Locust I knew this was exactly what I was looking for! The interior and feel of the place sealed the deal. Located close to downtown St. Louis, exposed brick, and ceiling beams gives it that loft-like feeling I was going for with my romanic theme I was leaning towards. Step two: DONE!
View of the dance floor!













I interviewed several people for our photographer, and while many were great, very professional, and had beautiful work, I decided on the one that I had the best feeling about. From our first phone call confirming our meeting I knew I liked her and our meeting confirmed that feeling. She has great work and I can't wait to see what she does on our wedding day!  Her studio, Bliss Eleven, is based out of St. Charles, check her out for family shots, senior pictures, engagement, and weddings! Bliss Eleven Studios Step three: DONE!

Wedding dress shopping was surprisingly very easy. I only made two appointments (which I recommend keeping it small because you WILL get overwhelmed and it's an experience you want to enjoy!) My future SIL, Tessa, works for a bridal company, Essense of Australia, which owns the brands Essense, Martina Liana, and Ella Bridals. There is a store in Overland Park and while there was no pressure to find a dress there, I was secretly hoping it would be, but I kept my mind open and made another appointment at a boutique in downtown KC. While I can't give away too much, my dress ended up being the very first one I tried on! I tried on at least 20 more after it, but each one was being compared to that first one. The whole experience really was surreal and very enjoyable. I felt fantastic in every dress I tried on {just like every girl should}. 

My one suggestion for brides-to-be out there is when you are getting that this could be the dress feeling, stay in your dressing room by yourself or with your consultant only so that you can take it all in. When you are making a decision as large and important as this, it's hard to think straight when you have many sets of eyes looking at you and judging your every reaction. I knew my dress was it, but it was stressful with my mom and friends starting at me and I wish I would've stayed in the dressing room to take it in. No regrets in my decision and I enjoy taking peeks at my dress on my phone and can't wait till Brandon sees me in it. STEP four: DONE!

I hope to continue with my suggestions, tips, and documentation of wedding planning as I continue over the next {6} months. I will be posting my Project Wedding Bod, engagement pictures & stresses, and general wedding babble. I wish I could post some of my crafty ideas and creations, but some things do need to be kept a secret until the big day! You'll just have to see for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment