Sunday, December 9, 2012

Ruffle Tree Skirt & Christmas Traditions

Ruffle Tree Skirt DIY

You will need:

Cheap Tree Skirt: Dollar Store
Muslin-JoAnns-2 yards
Burlap-JoAnns-2 yards
Glue Gun

Optional:
Sewing Machine
Rotary board & cutter

This can be done as a no sew, using only a glue gun, but I used my sewing machine. 

Cut the fabric into 3 inch strips.

Line your skirt with hot glue and start laying down the muslin. Pinch the fabric between your fingers and press down onto the other to make a ruffle.
Next, I did the same with in the burlap, use fabric pins to help hold it down. I found using a glue gun difficult, as it comes through the fabric and burns {ouch!}. So I used my sewing machine to sew the burlap, and went back to the gun for the muslin.

Give yourself plenty of time for this project, it took me a little over four hours.
Under the tree!

Christmas Traditions
My mom started a tradition with my brother and I starting with our very first Christmas and it's one I'm excited to continue. Every year my mom would buy us one ornament that signified something important in the past year. Whether that was our favorite movie, a new sport we played, or something big that happened to us. Something to remember that year by.  Included in that is The Lion King for 1994, my pacifier from 1988, or Missouri State ornament for 2004 when I got accepted to college. Under each ornament she wrote our initial and the year we got the ornament.
Brandon and I had our first Christmas in our own home and with our own tree last year and I started the tradition again. His memorable event was traveling to Mexico for a mission trip with his school and he got me a house for moving into together. If we had an important event/memory together it deserves an ornament too, so I found one for our first Christmas in our New Home and a picture from our move in day. This year I have been on the search for an engagement ornament that doesn't look cheap or having kissing teddy bears with doves...so far unsuccessful.
Trees with themes or all similar, colored coordinated ornaments look beautiful, but personally I love my tree with all it's mismatch ornaments; with each one I am taken back to that year and that moment and our tree tells a story. I can't wait for 10 years to go by and have a tree filled with Brandon and I's {&family} life events. 

New Chalkboard & 6 months countdown


No comments:

Post a Comment