Monday, November 18, 2013

Mile 1

My training officially starts on December 14th. That will be day one of the 6am Saturday wake up calls, meeting my team at our training sight, and racking up those miles.

My focus has been getting a good start on my fundraising, and thanks to my amazing family and friends, I can't believe I am just $45 short of my first goal of $800 by November 30th!

I'm currently holding on to three jobs, working at LLS during the day, 15-20 hours at the local YMCA in the evenings and weekends, and I am usually subbing for a local private school at least once a week, so finding time to start training on my own has been tough.

I had hoped by working at the Y, I would be more motivated to workout..well, when you work there 4-5 times a week, on my one evening off, I don't really feel like going into "work" to workout.

Luckily, there are 25 YMCA locations in Central Florida, so one evening I was able to go to a different site and get a start on building up a little pre-training endurance.

I have flat feet and it causes really bad shin splints. I had special shoe incerts made for me in high school that help support my falling arch. It helps, but never prevents it. So, it's important for me to start slow.

I was on the track and field team from 6th grade through senior year of high school. I enjoyed being active and part of the team, but I HATED running. My sport specialities included races that were over quickly and required very little running. I ran/jumped 100 meter hurtles for 7 years and my senior year I started triple jump.


As you can see, I prefered events that are over very quickly....

I used to skip out of our long runs, find ways to avoid them, or jump in with friends who had already ran half the workout and say I did it too (sorry Coach Ski).

So, that is why running a 1/2 marathon is going to be such a struggle for me. I don't enjoy running, I don't do it often, I get bored, my mind wanders, and I almost always talk myself out of it.

I went to the gym the other night and ran my first mile. YIPPEE! Now, I know running on a treadmill is very different than running outside, but I figured it's a good way to get my endurance built up before the training begins.

Brisk walk for half a mile(4.0-4.5 level)
Fast-paced run for a mile (5.5-6.0 level)
Brisk walk for half a mile (4.0)

Running about a 10-11 minute mile.



















I ended the evening with an hour and half ballet class, getting back to my dancer roots. 

As hard as training is going to be, it is no where near how tough fighting cancer is for patients. Please help me raise money for the LLS and their fight against blood cancer. Please join me in this fight by donating to my fundraising page:

*UPDATE: thanks to my lovely bestie Sara, I am only $20 away from my FIRST GOAL, BOOM!*

No comments:

Post a Comment