Friday, May 2, 2014

Nike Women's Half Marathon Recap Part III

Race day was here!
The group met at 5:15 am and we headed to the starting line on Pennsylvania Ave. It was a balmy 40 degrees. Good thing I packed a throw away fleece sweatshirt, gloves, and a head wrap. I knew if I got cold I would be absolutely miserable and it would affect my running. See my post on my Raynaud's Syndrom {here}
The fleece was going to come off right away, but I wanted to keep the gloves and head wrap on as long as possible. I could feel my fingers turning white just waiting for the start. 

When we registered for the race in February, we had to report our split time. I put I would probably keep an 11-11:30 pace, so I was assigned to the 11:30 corral start. Unfortunately, I ended up being separated from my friends. Even though I knew we would run separately during the race, it wasn't as much fun being by myself. Luckily, the officials combined the corral in front of us and as some dipping and dodging through the crowd I found Megan.

Even though it was VERY cold, there was a lot of energy to keep us warm.
One of the coolest things was when they played the National Anthem, we could see the capital in the background. It was so powerful and moving. I mean seriously, who else gets to sing the National Anthem with 15,000 other people in our Nations Capital. Come on, it was AMAZING!
Photo Credit: Nike.com Google Search
They sent one corral out at a time. We were in the 3rd or 4th heat, so it took about 15 minutes after 7 am for our group to take off.

I originally set a goal based off time. I thought I would want to finish in 2:30, but it being my first I decided not to run for time and run for milage instead. The longest I had run consistently was 6 miles. I made it my goal to run to 7.

The night before Meg and I studied the race map and planned out what we would be seeing, where it would be easy, and where it would suck.

 
Miles 1-4 would be full on monuments to see. 
It really is crazy to run by the Washington Monument.
Photo credit: Nike Google.com
For me personally, the first two miles are my hardest. It seems to take FOREVER to reach the first mile and even LONGER to get the second. But once I hit mile three, I was feeling great and full of energy.
Every two miles there was a Water and Nuun stop--Nuun is an Optimal Hydration that you add to water {here} My plan was to walk through every water stop. 


Mile 4-7 was the best motivating and high energy miles.  

Mile 4-5.5 we ran over the Arlington Bridge, made a U-Turn at the end and ran back. We were running one direction, while everyone else was running the other. I chose to run down the middle of the street and high five anyone that would high five me back. Women were cheering each other on and I heard "Go Team" after "Go Team!" It felt awesome!
At this point I took off my gloves. My fingers were finally feeling back to normal, and I used the gloves as a tissue for the next few miles. I took my head wrap off around Mile 7. 
Do you know how amazing it is to not run in humidity? I barely broke a sweat.
Photo Credit: Nike Google.com
After the bridge, we ran under the Kennedy Center and Watergate. There it was another point when we got to run next to everyone else. And before I knew it I was at Mile 7 and I felt great! From there it was making it mile to mile.


I knew after mile 7, we were going to hit the boring part of the whole race. We got to run by the Lincoln Monument one last time.

Mile 7-11 were a straight run along the Potomac River. No monuments, no turns, just a straight run.
We would be hitting the halfway point of the run and energy may be fading. I knew this part would suck, but it honestly wasn't too bad.
I run with music, but I hardly realize it's there as long as my mind can stay occupied.
I chose to focus on my rocking playlist during the next few miles.
Photo Credit: Nike Google.com
Photo Credit: Nike Google.com
Photo Credit: Google.com

Mile 9-10 was a curve around the peninsula and right at the curve, there was the College Cheer Squad. Tons of Alpha Chi's, bands, and a DJ were there cheering us on. It was awesome, and reminded me of during high school when our track & field team would cheer during the final 4X4. We called it Blood Alley.
Photo Credit: Nike Google.com


At this point I was getting tired, but I was so close to double digits I couldn't just stop!

After mile 10, I really wanted to stop, I could feel EVERYTHING! I swear my hair started feeling sore. I could literally feel it moving on my head.
You know the scene in Knocked Up when Allison starts screaming...

Yep, that's the one.

My new goal, was make it to Mile 11, take it easy on to Mile 12, and rock it through the finish from there.
I could start to see the monuments again so I knew I was getting close.
I started to slow down and made my first change to a walk. 
I decided not to run with my Nike+ app so I wouldn't feel anxious about the time, so I had no idea what time I was running, and frankly I did not care.
6 months ago I could BARELY run a mile and today, April 27th, I ran ELEVEN! That's ELEVEN miles!
That was enough satisfaction for me.

Once I hit 12, baby it was on. We were back downtown and all the spectators that had slept in where cheering us on now.

I could see the Capital Building, my final turn, and MILE 13 in the distance.

I saw that green finish line and I was full of energy and excitement!

For the last .5 miles I was started to brainstorm if I should do something fun as I cross the finish line. Should I do a dance, cartwheel (ha!), shimmy?
Instead I just started sprinting!
I don't know where the extra energy came from but I'm glad it did. I pass 6 people in front of me, put my arms up and crossed that finish line!
Thanks Nike for the free race photo!
Photo Credit: Nike Google.com

This was right after I finished. We were immediately rushed into a line to get food and water. I would have to say this was one of their only downfalls. It wasn't quite the reception I was hoping for after completing 13.1 miles. Especially, but I had to stop moving when I was standing in line.
But I wasn't too interested in the food, I wanted this….
 FINALLY, after the food line, it was time to get my Little Blue Box. So I got in yet, another line, and was handed my treasure!


After that, I got into ANOTHER line, and got my photo op!

It was onto the TNT tent, consume two bags of chips, realize it's going to be very difficult to walk in the next few hours and hit up a big brunch with my mom. Complete with Mimosas.

 As far as half marathon's go, it's going to really hard to top this one.


Unbelievable energy, no humidity, 15,000 strong running mates, National Monuments, and a Tiffanys & Co® Necklace.

It was unbelievable and I'm so incredibly glad I did it. 
I hope I can do it again next year. 






No comments:

Post a Comment