Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Life Lately


My life motto is without a doubt--everything happens for a reason and I am reminded of that almost daily. 
The good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful. 
It all happens because of a plan that was already laid out for me the minute I was put onto this Earth. I know it's totally corny, but I have it to thank it for every positive thing in my life. I still find myself in disbelief that I was lucky enough to find my husband and that he loved me enough to pick me.
Charlotte York puts our love nicely, it's not perfectly, but it's perfect for us:

Everyday. Not all day everyday, but everyday.


















Even more lately, does my motto come into play. Last year I was really struggling with my career choice being a teacher. I would always wonder about other career paths and if I chosen the right one. I loved teaching, but I wasn't feeling PASSIONATE about it, and I saw that absence of passion as a flaw and it made me second guess what I was doing. I didn't feel happy or fully satisfied and I would see my friends' careers and feel jealous--I wondered what it felt like to not have to be in control of 20 little lives, not have to hold my pee for hours at a time, and only 20 minute lunch "breaks." So when we found out we were moving to Orlando, I saw this as my chance to start over, check out if the grass really is greener. I started over the summer working at Essense Designs, a bridal company in KS, working with the inventory, doing quality control checks, and working in the warehouse. I enjoyed it (partially because of my never ending love for all things bridal) and it was nice to not have to worry about children, go to the bathroom when I wanted, and have a 45 minute lunch break!

Brandon was worried about my decision to not teach, and honestly I was too, but I didn't want to apply for teaching and feel as though I am settling because it's what I majored in. When I got my job with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society I was so excited! I also found a private school close by that I would sub for on occasion to keep teaching in my life, just in case I decided to go back.

I started subbing pretty regularly and I always found myself in a much better mood after I was done teaching. 
For awhile I was enjoying my job at LLS, I was given more responsibilities, had registered for a race, was working with adults, and managing events. 
But then it wasn't so great anymore. 
Around that time, I was asked by the private school to interview for a long term substitute teaching position in kindergarten. I was hesitant at first because if I got the job it would be a risk because the job may eventually end, but then work at LLS got a little worse and I decided to give the interview a try and if it worked out I would take it. 
As it turns out, the kindergarten job is so right-up-my-alley it is like it was written for me. 
The private school is departmentalized. Each teacher only teaches a specific subject and my job would be kindergarten science and social studies and pre-kindergarten art. 
My first teaching job was kindergarten and I have loved that age ever since, I emphasized in history in college and science and social studies were my favorite subjects in school, I taught pre-k for a semester my first year at St. Paul's and I was in charge of teaching art and art history, AND I clearly love art myself. 

When I was offered the job I realized I would be a nut case not to accept it. I started unexpectedly last Thursday (because babies have their own schedules) and I have been so happy ever since---newly acquired kindergarten germ cold and all. It really is just amazing how much better everything else is in your life is when you are satisfied with your job.
Excuse my corniness, but it's true what they say: 
Love your job and you'll never work a day in your life.

And repeating good ole Charlotte, not all day everyday, but everyday.

I may not be working for LLS anymore, but I am still committed to my race, to Team In Training, and to finding a cure. 
I am still training and I am still fundraising. 
I'm excited to be apart of Team In Training as a participant only and not as a staff member, it will make my experience much more enjoyable.

Don't forget to visit my fundraising page and make your donation today. Every dollar counts. I'm only about 35% there and my race is in 100 days. 
Please help me out and take a stand against cancer.


No comments:

Post a Comment