Wednesday, January 1, 2014

TNT Update 1.1.14

6:55 AM and my drive to Saturday morning group training. 
I've been slacking on my training as the busy holidays have interfered, and I've been making excuses. I said at the beginning of my 1/2 marathon training that running isn't my thing, and I'm hoping it will eventually be my thing 
I missed last week's group run because I was in St. Louis. I had plans to train {I packed workout clothes & tennis shoes, does that count..ok no} and I had planned on putting in some miles on Sunday when we got back to FL, but the traffic issues we had on the way made our driving last longer and we didn't get in until Sunday afternoon. 
I did put in some mileage walking around Disney World's Magic Kingdom that night and Brandon and I did run across the park to make it to Space Mountain after the parade ended. 
I'm counting that as my cross training :)

My main goal has been getting a head start on my fundraising...
And here I am on New Years Day fundraising for a cause.
In the past, I had spent my New Years Day nursing a hangover, but this year was different. I woke up early, showered and headed to the Citrus Bowl to sell spirit beads to fans for LLS.
I set off from tailgate to tailgate wearing a pretty sweet fanny pack and a bag full of beads. Honestly, I felt like an idiot. I'm not one for "soliciting" and it being my first time, I wasn't sure what to expect. I kept thinking I should've taken a few shots before heading out to calm the nerves.
It was rainy and cold {uncommon for Florida} and so much for showering and makeup helping my cause; Mother Nature had other plans.
It was discouraging when I was ignored or denied and I almost considered packing it in and leaving after an hour, but as cheesy as it sounds, I had to keep remembering that cancer can't be ignored and the annoyance and embarrassment I was feeling walking around is NOTHING compared to the fight people face with cancer every day.
Then I headed into a jackpot tailgate. It probably helped that most had been tailgating for awhile and drinks made people more generous…with donations and their beverages.
After purchasing beads, several friendly fans offered me drinks. I had been walking around in the rain, I needed a drink and I enjoyed having nice conversations with fans.
In the end it was worth it. I earned $121.35 towards my fundraising in just an hour and half. And if it hadn't started raining harder I would have kept going.

Fundraising & Running Update
Miles: 3
Money Raised: $1,120.36
Percentage to Complete: 35%
Amount left to go:  $2,079.65
Days till Race: 115

No comments:

Post a Comment