Saturday, February 1, 2014

Perspective

My motto for my fundraising and training for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society has been

I'm the lucky one
I want more people to be the lucky one

Not only have I personally not been affected by cancer of any form, I haven't had any family or close friends affected as well.

Every four minutes, someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer and every 10 minutes someone loses their battle.

When you look at it like that, I need to count my blessings every 4 minutes for the life I have.

I believe we are on this planet to make a difference, whether that's through our jobs, life choices, or even random acts of kindness. You can make a difference in someone life every day if you try.

But I'm not only lucky because I haven't been touched my cancer, I am lucky for so many reasons, and this morning was an EYE-OPENER to why I am doing what I am doing.

I did not want to get up and train today, I just wanted to sleep. But my friend was counting on me to be at the park so I had to go (another reasons why TNT is great, if I was by myself I totally would have stayed in bed!)
While I was waiting I decided to watch a youtube video that had been shared several times on Facebook...this one:


If you've already seen it, you know.
I was sobbing, straight up sobbing.

I thought to myself…why, why, why did I chose to watch that video today. Especially with all the FB warnings that it was a tear jerker and I am the biggest baby there is.
 I am lucky that I never have to say goodbye to a love one and worry about them every day while they are fighting for our freedom. 
My running buddy is getting ready to send off her husband to Navy Seal Basic Training in May.

I used the families as motivation.

And off I ran.

As we were warming up, we saw a large crowd of people gathering in the park. Many had matching tee-shirts and booths were set up, but we couldn't see what the occasion was.
We started the run around the lake, and I soon realized why all those people were there.
It was a community walk for Prevention of Suicide.
Out of the Darkness.

There were signs posted around the lake with quotes and statistics about suicide. 

Talk about another slap at counting my blessings.
I have never been affected by suicide, and seeing all those people out there supporting it was another reminder of why I am doing what I am doing.

I used the signs as motivation. 


I was struggling with running and felt out of shape. My being sick lasted for two weeks, so I hadn't trained since the 5k two weeks ago.
I staggered my miles and followed the signs as distance markers.

As I was coming around the back side of the lake I saw the walk begin. 
Not to run up stream I left the path and made it to the road, but I couldn't help but look at the participants and think of their reason for being there.

I saw one couple holding hands and walking. They were both wearing sunglasses, but I could tell they were crying.

I used them as motivation.

I had been been feeling discouraged and frustrated about my fundraising lately and stressing at raising the money. 
I deserve a slap for that one.
What I am fundraising for is not for me, but for the mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. And that is to find a cure for blood cancers and to improve the lives of those affected by it through financial and educational support.

Please make a difference in the lives of someone today.
Use your donation as motivation to count your blessings and share them with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment