Saturday, February 1, 2014

Fastest 5k

Two weeks ago Brandon & I did a 5K at Universal Studios called the Dick Batchelor Run for the Children. I heard about the race from my new job. The fourth graders had created a team called "Park Maitland Smiles" and I like the opportunity to get involved with my new work outside of the school and it was perfect for on track training. Plus, Dick Batchelor run raises vital funds for the programs at the Howard Phillips Center for Children & Families, part of the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children--which is Brandon's Hospital. It was a great event for both of us! 
Florida has experienced a tiny bit of the polar vortex. The weather hasn't been the greatest for the last few weeks and it was cold that morning. Plus, four days into teaching 90 kindergarteners and 50 pre-kindergarteners, I got sick for the first time in a year. It was one of the never ending common colds. Starts at the nose, moves to the throat, and ends in the chest. I had planned on training the week before so I could run the whole 3.1 miles, but I just couldn't feeling so awful. 
The morning of the race my cold had moved into my chest, but I still had a goal of doing as much as I could, instead of running the whole 3.1, I decided to make a goal of under 40 minutes. That puts it at a 13 minute mile. 
I did better than I thought. I ran 2 miles and I started feeling like I was breathing through a tube. For the next half mile I staggered my running. I would walk for 20 seconds and then run. Running through Universal Studios made setting goals easy. I would walk the 20 seconds and make the goal to run through a "World." Such as making it through The Simpson's World, walk 20 seconds to the next and run through Dr. Seuss World. 
Once I hit the marker at .5 away I knew I wanted to finish strong.
I made it to the last .1 mile and picked up the pace. I kept thinking that this is how I want to finish the half marathon, and then I saw the clock reaching 40 minutes. I crossed the finish line at 38 minutes. My fastest 5k ever!



I may not feel like I've had a lot of progress, but when I did that. I knew things were improving. But also going through my head through the run was that 3.1 miles is NOTHING compared to a half marathon. So onward I go!

The great news is I have reached the 50% mark for my fundraising! I still have a ways to go, but it's amazing the support I've received from my family and friends!
Keep it coming guys! I can't run my race without you!


Fundraising & Running Update
Miles: 5
Money Raised: $1,600.36
Percentage to Complete: 50%
Amount left to go:  $1,599.64
Days till Race: 85

No comments:

Post a Comment