Sunday, January 13, 2013

Something Old

Today I created my very special something old.

I won't be sharing too much of my wedding DIYs till the wedding is over in order to keep some elements a surprise, but this one will be hidden under my dress and not be seen by many.

I decided early that I was going to make my own garter and I wanted it to have meaning and I knew it would be easy.

I will have lots of different something olds on at our wedding but my garter holds many something olds in one fabulously delicate piece.

My mom mailed me a few pieces from her wedding dress, her garter, and I had on a bracelet with three pearls that came from my Great Grandmother on my father's side. So this garter holds memories from both sides of my family. 
Bottom of the dress from 1983
I believe the pearls are from the 1920s




















I found a tutorial HERE on how to make the fabric rosettes. I did a few practice rounds with some muslin and it was so easy. All you need is scraps of fabric in long strips (1-2 inches wide) and hot glue.

My mom sent me two different pieces from her dress, one from a ruffle that went around her shoulders and a strip off the bottom.

I used the eyelet ruffle to make two larger rosettes and the lace strip from the bottom to make a smaller one.
I hand sewed the three rosettes together.



















I cut the blue bow off her garter, sewed on the three small pearls charm and then sewed that to the middle of the rosettes.



I found stretchy white lace at Hobby Lobby. I'm going to wait to attach the rosettes and measure the lace till closer to the wedding. As you know from my project wedding bod, I'm hoping to tone up my legs and hopefully shrink some inches off the thigh area.
This is my keep garter, I am making a second, more fun/playful, garter for Brandon to toss, but my idea is a surprise for Brandon, so it will be kept a secret.

1 comment:

  1. Of course I am thrilled! Project Kate's rehearsal dress is her mama's next project. The rosettes look wonderful - worth taking the old sewing scissors out and cutting it up.

    ReplyDelete